10 Simple Questions To Assess Your CEO’s Marketing IQ
Written by Jeff Bullas
I recently came across a statistic that disturbed me, not that I wasn’t already slightly disturbed in a nice sort of way.
That number that had jolted me was that nearly half of all businesses (46% to be precise) don’t have a website. Did I hear someone saying.. “you have to be joking!” (I have just checked the calendar and I have verified by the way that it is 2010 not 1910).
To make more of a point on this, a recent survey by Discover Business Watch found “Of the 55 percent of small business owners who don’t have a Web site, 57 percent say their businesses will never have one“. Now this is starting to go from the sublime to the ridiculous.
The other not insignificant statistic that businesses should keep in mind is that 93% of buying decisions start with an online search and if you don’t have a web presence it makes it a little difficult (to say the least) to turn up in the search results and people to make an enquiry and consequently buy, if you don’t have a website.
- Your own business domain name (Cost $20)
- Videos from YouTube (Free)
- Email subscription to the blog (Free)
- Images (Free)
- Content loaded as easily as using Microsoft Word
- Links to other content and websites
- Menu across the top
- Polls and surveys for your customers
- Traffic statistics for the Blog/Website
- Moderation of comments
- Plus many other free features provide by plugins at no cost
Note: Cost is less than $40 and a bit of time and help from your teenage son, daughter or friend if necessary.
So with that in mind here are the 10 simple questions to assess your CEO’s marketing IQ.
- Do we have a web presence (website or even a blog)?
- Are you still spending money on advertising in the Yellow Pages?
- Are you still spending a majority of your marketing dollars on direct mail marketing?
- Are you marketing by fax broadcasts?
- Are you still “thinking” about having a website for your company?
- Have you heard of social media for business?
- Do most of our reps still cold call?
- Do you use print media for most of your advertising dollars?
- Are our carrier pigeons still alive?
- Do we have our milk delivered by horse and cart?
So if you think your CEO still has an excuse not to have a web presence so that people can find your business and buy from you then I think you should check your CEO for a pulse.
So do you know of any businesses that don’t have a website?
About the Author:
Jeff Bullas is a consultant, coach, mentor and speaker and works with companies and executives to optimize their online personal and company presence and brand with digital marketing and social media through the use of social media channels and other web and mobile technologies.
His Achievements include:
- Listed in the “Top 50 Social Media Power Influencers” on Forbes.com at #14
- His blog receives over 300,000 hits a month and 170,000 unique readers
- The blog is read in 190 countries worldwide
- Twitter followers number over 100,000
- He has trained and consulted the top Australian internet companies including Telstra, Optus, Vodafone and Ozemail
- Finalist – Top 10 Social Media Blogs 2010
- Top 10 Social Media Blog Winner 2102 – Social Media Examiner
- International speaker and panelist at seminars and conferences including Italy, Turkey and New Zealand
- Presentations have been viewed on Slideshare over 200,000 times
- Jeffbullas.com is currently ranked in the top 5o marketing blogs according to Adage.com’s Power 150 Rankings
- According to Kred.com, jeffbullas.com is ranked #4 as a global marketing “Influencer”.
- Published in the New York Times